Sunday, June 17, 2012

Creativity vs. Creation

Hello lovely readers! I've been needing a space to express my random thoughts and experiences that I usually gush about at school over a meal, in class, or just hanging out with friends thus I'm starting this blog. Yay! For my first entry I want to write about something that is a culmination of recent thoughts/observations I've been having lately. The subject is the essence of the creative and what classifies something as being so. The root of the word creativity is "create" but are people who are considered "creative" always creators of something? I like to think so but lately I have been doubting my own creative spirit. I constantly ask myself, "What am I actually producing?" but beyond my own self-doubt, I found myself in a place of reassurance after thinking about how all things can be creative in their own ways. I have many creative outlets that range from simple random thoughts to poetry and writing to drawing/doodling to singing to ways that I arrange fruit slices for catering orders. You see what I'm getting at: everything can be an act of creation.It may seem foolish but I try to be creative when I'm at work cooking, prepping, and catering. It makes my job 100 times more enjoyable and I know that it results in a much better product for the customers. I'm glad that I have found a way to be creative in almost all aspects of my life because after school ended, I was in an intellectual rut the size of my Norton Critical Theory book. (ironic analogy, I know...) Thankfully I got my creative groove back and this blog is one of the representations of that. While creative genius can be a curse (eg. Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath, Van Gogh, Ernest Hemingway, etc.) so much beauty, majesty, and passion is revealed about people by the ways they creatively express themselves. I promise that my need and desire to create is positive and I cannot wait to share myself with all of you fine readers! Blue skies and beautiful thoughts, Mere :)

No comments:

Post a Comment